That course we ran last year is coming up again. I’ve tweaked it quite a bit – free at last from the learning management system it was locked up inside, running in a wiki schedule, backed up by blogs and an email forum.
This course has been developed by staff in the Educational Development Centre of Otago Polytechnic and is designed to help both formal and informal learners access and interpret models, research and professional dialog in the facilitation of online communities. After completing this course people should be confident in facilitating online and/or be able to critique and offer advice to other people in the facilitation of online communities.
The next facilitated course starts 28 July 2008.
Participation in this course is open. You will need to have regular access the Internet and be comfortable with independently completing tasks. To join simply introduce yourself to the discussion page and include an email address that can be use to add you to an email forum for the course.
In formal learning terms this is a level 7 course registered on the New Zealand Qualifications Authority. Formal learning participants engage in this course for a period of 10 weeks with an indicative time commitment of at least 6 hours per week.
Formal learners will receive concentrated learning support throughout this period, and assessment services and formal recognition at the completion of the course. Some people may prefer to engage in this course informally and to set their own pace through the work using the schedule as a guide. Informal engagement is welcome and arrangements can be made for formal assessment and recognition at any time with the course facilitator.
- 1 Facilitating Online Communities blog
- 2 Participation
- 3 Learning objectives
- 4 Schedule
- 4.1 Wk 1: Orientation 28 July – 3 August
- 4.2 Wk 2: What is an online community? 4 – 10 August
- 4.3 Wk 3: Facilitating, moderating, or teaching 11 – 17 August
- 4.4 Wk 4: Looking for online community: Discussion forums 18 – 24 August
- 4.5 Wk 5: Looking for online community: Blog networks 25 – 31 August
- 4.6 Wk 6: Looking for online community: Wiki collaborators 1 – 7 September
- 4.7 Wk 7: Looking for online community: Virtual Worlds 8 – 14 September
- 4.8 Wk 8: Looking for online community: Social networking platforms 15 – 21 September
- 4.9 Wk 9: Facilitate an event for an online community 22 – 28 September
- 4.10 Wk 10: Evaluate the facilitation of an event held for an online community 29 September – 5 October
- 5 Assignments
- 6 Related courses